Steppingstone Farm Museum is happy to host your special event!
Let “Your Country Retreat” host your wedding, family reunion, birthday or anniversary party, bridal or baby shower, meeting, workshop, or corporate retreat!
See our new special page just for Weddings!
What is available?
The whole site… grounds, stage, and pavilion. We book only 1 wedding per day and allow setup and cleanup outside of your event time.
Standard rental rates for a wedding include 5 hours for your ceremony and reception, 2 hours the evening before for your rehearsal, and set up and cleanup time outside of your event time. Wedding rental for the grounds and outdoor spaces is $1500, this covers use of the Stage, Courtyard, Pavilion, or other outdoor settings and the restrooms. The Carriage Barn is complete! It will be rented separately for $1500 or discounted to $1000 when booked at the same time as your wedding.
Use of the entire site can be negotiated for the weekend, please contact us to discuss. Special events may incur additional fees and stipulations.
Rates are $2500 per day and $3000 per weekend including Friday evening for setup. The Carriage Barn is still additional at the discounted fee when booked with a weekend.
For non-profit organizations with 501c3 status the rates are $1000 per day and $1500 per weekend.
You must be a member of the museum to rent, family membership is $40, corporate is $200, payable with deposit if you are not a current member.
What if I have a smaller event or party? These rentals are for one location only- other events will be on property.
The pavilion only…
The pavilion can be reserved for 4 hour increments for $200 for parties and family reunions, parking in main parking lot. Additional hours can be added at $50 per hour. The pavilion includes (11) picnic table, 2 with wheelchair extensions. If you choose not to use them you are responsible for moving them out and back under the pavilion. The pavilion dimensions are 30’x67′ and seats 100-150 people.
The display barn…
The display barn is a great music venue and can be reserved for 1 hour increments for $100 for parties, parking in main parking lot. The main room has about 30′ x 30′ open space.
The NEW “Studio at Steppingstone”…
A new indoor, climate controlled studio space 31′ x 29′ featuring cork walls, wood look laminate flooring, wall mounted power strips, and plenty of natural and fluorescent lighting is available for dance classes, workshops, meetings, and more! A beautiful bright space for your next indoor event. The studio can be booked for a 4 hour block for $300 with additional hours at $50 per hour.
Carriage Barn renovations are complete!
The new Carriage Barn exhibit space will features a 20′ x 80′ usable area with bench rails along one side with the exhibit of historic carriages and sleighs. Complete with Victorian post lamps and iron look chandeliers, this space will be perfect for receptions, parties, and barn dances! Rates $1500 or discounted to $1000 when booked with a wedding or weekend rental. The barn can seat 180 with long tables as currently set up with the exhibit in place. There is an option to have the carriages moved from the barn by museum staff for a separate donation to the curatorial fund of $1000 which will go toward restoration of these beautiful antiques. The pews remain in the barn but will be moved against the walls in this case.
Additional dimensions available for all rental spaces here.
We have dishes available for rental for your events, they all match as vintage fire-king Milke glass with gold rims, but are two different designs, some with scalloped edges or smooth edges. We rent any of the dishes for $6 per dozen pieces for your event and have the following quantities available:
Scalloped Edges: Large Oval Plates 23, Large plates 89, Small plates 35, Large Bowls 52, Regular Bowls 40, Small Bowls 30, Saucers 154
Smooth Edges: Large Oval Plates 18, Large plates 63, Small plates 136, Regular Bowls 94, Small Bowls 58, Saucers 54, Cups 150
Glasses: Brown Glass 72, Clear Glass 118
- The Steppingstone Farm Museum grounds and pavilion is available to all persons without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability.
- Reservations will be on a first come first serve basis. All rentals will be handled through the museum office with the reserving party acknowledging policy, rules, and responsibilities.
- The pavilions and grounds may be rented on Saturdays, Sundays, weekdays and evenings throughout the year by arrangement. Normal rental hours must fall between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m., but exceptions may be made by arrangement. The use of the visitors center (for the bridal party only) is also included in the rental, pictures in the farm house can be accommodated 1 hour before ceremony for an additional fee.
- Please call for rental rates, must be a museum member for rentals.
- A contract between the Steppingstone Museum and the reserving party must be signed, accompanied by the membership fee if not a member and half of the rental fee at the time of reservation. This contract and deposit must be received and confirmed to confirm your date. The balance and security deposit must be paid two weeks prior to the event.
- The pavilion and the museum grounds must be left in the same condition as they were found. The security deposit will be refunded within two weeks after the event, provided the pavilion/grounds are found in the same condition, as meets the approval of the museum director.
- The museum provides only the site for your event. All arrangements for catering, equipment, rental, music and other amenities are the responsibility of the reserving party. The museum also provides restrooms and a facility for trash removal.
- The museum grounds are open to the public year-round from 9am-sunset, shops are open to the public 1 to 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays from May to September. A staff member will be present at the farm house during the time of your ceremony to insure privacy. The farmhouse will be locked promptly at 4pm when the rest of the museum closes to the public.
- The museum retains the right to cancel, postpone, or change the location of any function with proper notice and explanation. (This is only likely in the event of a major disaster on museum property)
- You are renting the grounds in as-is condition and must return it as found, any improvements that you wish to make to site must be approved by the director in advance. We welcome most offers for improvements as the museum is dependent on volunteers for maintenance and improvements!
Steppingstone Rental Frequently Asked Questions
What Caterers can we use?
A. You may choose any caterer you would like for your event. A list of caterers who have previously catered at our site may be obtained from the office.
Q. May we have alcohol on the premises?
A. Yes, but please drink responsibly! You are responsible for ensuring everyone with your private party is of legal drinking age and leaves the property safely. Your caterer is responsible for acquiring and posting a liquor license if they are running a cash bar.
Q. Do you have tables or chairs available?
A. You can choose to rent tables and chairs from the museum or from a rental company. Please see the weddings page for details on the Lifetime tables and chairs that the museum has for rent. A limited number of picnic tables are available in the pavilion if you would like to use them, if not you are responsible for moving them out and back after your event. Benches are available in the orchard by the stage but must remain in place. If you use the courtyard behind the house you will need to rent chairs.
Q. What if it rains?
A. The pavilion is the only covered area on the grounds. The display barn can be used as a backup indoor space. The Carriage Barn can be used if booked and the additional fee paid. You may rent tents for your event, and the office can supply you with a list of rental companies. Chesapeake Rental is local and knows the site very well so they can usually accommodate a last minute need for tents.
Q. What if I need more than five (5) hours for my event?
A. Additional time may be allotted for a charge of $100 per hour. Times must be approved by the museum director.
Q. How many people can the pavilion hold?
A. The pavilion holds 100-150 people. If you need more space, you may opt to rent a tent and place it next to the pavilion.
Q. Where do my guests park?
A. A parking lot is located on the premises that provides ample room for your guests. Overflow parking is in the grass field behind the main paved parking lot. Please discuss special accommodations with us for handicapped guests.
Q. Is there a limit on the number of people I can invite?
A. No! The more the merrier! For special event rentals, we are now capping the site at 3000 people. We have hosted weddings up to 350 people- just ask about details!
Q. Are we in charge of the trash?
A. We provide trashcans (let us know ahead of time how many you need), and there is a dumpster and recycling dumpster on the grounds. It is the renter’s responsibility to provide trash bags and to put all trash bags into the dumpster and recyclables in the recycling dumpster. Renters may work this out with their caterer. Cigarette butts must be placed in butt disposal units, any butts left on the grounds are required to be removed by the renter within 24 hours after your event. Cleanup within an hour after your event must include proper disposal of all trash, food, and drink and containers since they should not be left out for the critters!
Q. Will we get our security deposit back?
A. Steppingstone allows renters to place signage on the property to direct their guests to various locations and decorate only those areas being used for the event. All decorations must be draped or tied, NO Nails or Staples are allowed. We do ask that you remove all litter and take down all decorations according to the terms of your contract. A full return of deposit will be alloted: If the Steppingstone property is left in its original condition, nothing is damaged or in need of clean up, all rules of the contract were followed, and your family or guests were not abusive to staff or volunteers of the organization.